For immediate release
Today, the Canadian Commercial Corporation announced it has signed a contract to deliver Canadian potash from Canpotex Limited, with a potential value of $70 million CAD, to the Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC). This is the fifth contract that CCC has signed with BADC. BADC improves the agricultural output of Bangladesh by supplying quality agricultural inputs and providing efficient irrigation management. CCC is the Government of Canada’s government-to-government contracting organization and works with Canadian exporters and their international customers to deliver solutions that improve the lives of citizens.
- Potash is a critical item for Bangladesh’s agricultural industry and is a driver for their continued domestic development.
- The potash will be mined from Canpotex’s members’ mines.
- As one of the world’s largest producers of potash, Canada accounts for 30 percent of the mineral’s total global production.
- In 2017, Canada’s potash exports were worth $3.9 billion.
- Canada holds 46 per cent of the world’s potash reserves, with the Prairie Evaporite Deposit, which lies beneath the southern plains of Saskatchewan, accounting for a significant portion of these reserves.
- Canada’s potash industry employs approximately 5,000 Canadians.
- In 2017-18, the Canadian Commercial Corporation was active in 78 countries around the world, working with 182 Canadian companies, to sign export contracts worth over $1.3 billion.
“We are thrilled to be helping Canadian exporters like Canpotex access international markets. By working with CCC, Canadian exporters can take advantage of a unique government-to-government contracting approach that offers a Government of Canada guarantee of contract performance to help grow their international business.”Martin Zablocki, President and CEO, Canadian Commercial Corporation
“As one of Canada’s largest overseas exporters, Canpotex ships about 10 million tonnes of potash each year, which is used to improve both crop quality and yield, making a significant contribution to global food security. We welcome CCC support to help us achieve such an important outcome.”Ken Seitz, President and CEO, Canpotex Limited
“We are extremely pleased to once again be working with the Government of Canada and Canpotex in securing these important deliveries of Canadian potash”.Md. Nasiruzzaman, Chairman, Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation