History

  • 1946: At the end of WW II, Canada commits to assist in the reconstruction of Europe, but lacks an effective platform to deliver aid. The Government of Canada responds by creating the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC).
  • 1956: Canada and the U.S. sign the Defence Production Sharing Agreement (DPSA) to promote a shared North American industrial base. CCC is designated as the gateway allowing Canadian companies to access U.S. Department of Defence procurement opportunities.
  • 1960: As the space race accelerates, CCC signs an agreement with the NASA allowing Canadian suppliers equal access to NASA contract opportunities.
  • 1968: Canada’s external aid commitments continue to grow, and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) (now a part of DFATD) is established to manage most of Canada’s development assistance budget. Due to the Corporation’s experience in providing international aid, CCC is chosen to act as CIDA’s (now a part of DFATD) primary purchaser.
  • 1970: CCC's role as CIDA's (now a part of DFATD) procurement agency for the World Food and International Food program expands, and the Corporation makes substantial purchases of Canadian wheat for distribution overseas. Meanwhile, Spar Aerospace and CCC negotiate a five-year contractual agreement with NASA to develop the "Remote Manipulator System," now known as the Canadarm.
  • 1976: The Corporation brings Canadian technological expertise to the renowned Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope project, helping build a world-class optical/infrared telescope located at the summit of Mauna Kea Mountain in Hawaii.
  • 1987: CCC is involved in a number of development projects around the world, including a hospital in Ivory Coast, a measles vaccination plant for UNICEF and water well-drilling equipment in Belize.
  • 1992: CCC signs contracts for next-generation Light Armoured Vehicles (LAVs) produced by General Motors, selling the first models to Australia. 1996 The Corporation celebrates its golden anniversary.
  • 1998: CCC begins procuring vitamin A capsules on behalf of the Micronutrient Initiative, an Ottawa-based not-for-profit organization working with CIDA (now a part of DFATD) and UNICEF to address malnutrition in the developing world. By 2006, the program provided nearly 4 billion capsules to malnourished children in over 70 developing countries, saving well over 2 million lives.
  • 2002: Amendments to the Canadian Commercial Corporation Act strengthen CCC’s governance by separating the position of Board Chair from that of President, modernizing its borrowing authority and sharpening its commercial focus. In keeping with commitments undertaken by the Government of Canada at the Kananaskis G-8 Summit, CCC coordinates the selection of a fund manager for the $200M Canada Investment Fund for Africa (CIFA) in support of the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
  • 2004: CCC serves as the platform for procuring and transferring transport helicopters to the African Union for Sudan, associated with Canada's Global Peace and Security Fund.
  • 2006: CCC celebrates its 60th anniversary, and the DPSA enters its 50th year of service.
  • 2007: CCC signs a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with DFAIT (now part of DFATD) to support the Global Peace and Security Fund, which includes the Stabilization and Reconstruction Task Force (START), the Counter-Terrorism Capacity Building Program (CTCBP) and the Global Partnership Program (GPP). This makes CCC the Procurement Agent of choice for the Department, facilitating the delivery of goods and services for international end-use and assisting DFATD in meeting its stabilization and reconstruction priorities.