The Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Export Promotion, International Trade and Economic Development, today announced the signing, at the World Nuclear Exhibition, in Paris, of a 3-way contract between the Canadian Commercial Corporation, Societatea Națională Nuclearelectrica SA and AtkinsRéalis to support the work to extend the life of the Unit 1 CANDU reactor at the Cernavoda Nuclear Power Plant, in Romania.
Russia’s brutal and unjustifiable war of aggression against Ukraine has underscored the need for Romania and other European countries to reduce their reliance on Russian energy while maximizing their energy security. This contract supports both Romanian energy security and well-paying jobs in Canada, as a large proportion of the project will be completed in Canada with benefits for the Canadian nuclear supply chain.
The refurbished CANDU reactor will continue to provide an emissions-free, low-cost, uninterrupted flow of power to Romania and the Republic of Moldova and help Romania succeed in its transition to dependable, low-carbon, climate-resilient green energy.
As a Tier 1 nuclear nation, Canada has significant nuclear expertise—including in reactor technology and related services—and Canadian companies are well placed to benefit from renewed global interest in nuclear energy. The CANDU technology is a Canadian success story with a record of excellent performance in export markets.
Following the Government of Canada’s recent announcement of up to $3 billion in export financing for Canadian participation in the new build reactor projects at Cernavoda, this contract is yet another example that Canada is at the table to support the nuclear energy goals of our allies.
“Canada is a leader in nuclear energy technology and expertise and Romania’s confidence is testament to that. This project will strengthen relations between Canada and Romania, showcase Canadian innovation in nuclear energy create good jobs and support Romania’s climate- and energy-security objectives.” – Mary Ng, Minister of Export Promotion, International Trade and Economic Development
- The agreement allows the Canadian Commercial Corporation to enter into a government-to-government contract with Societatea Națională Nuclearelectrica S.A. and AtkinsRéalis (formerly SNC-Lavalin) for the refurbishment of the Cernavoda nuclear reactor.
- The Canadian Commercial Corporation is Canada’s government-to-government contracting agency and is key to facilitating this important project.
- AtkinsRéalis is the exclusive licensee of the CANDU intellectual property portfolio and provides advisory and engineering services to other nuclear developers. Its supply chain supports 76,000 Canadian jobs.
- The total value of the contract is approximately $750 million.
- Approximately 85% of the project scope will be executed in Canada, with 81% of the reactor component and 100% of the retube tools manufactured in Canada.